Cobra Commander's Updated Origin Revives an Controversial 1980s Twist in G.I. Joe Lore

Cobra Commander #1 introduces Cobra-La, a divisive element from G.I. Joe: The Movie, to the Energon Universe. In this new continuity, Cobra Commander's origins unveil him as a human adopted by the serpent-people of Cobra-La. His experiments on Megatron and quest for additional Energon drive him to depart Cobra-La in pursuit of the ability to forge more formidable weapons.

Image

iamge

Cobra Commander #1 delves into the origins of the iconic G.I. Joe villain within the Energon Universe, a move that may stir controversy among longtime fans due to its reimagining of franchise history.

Written by Joshua Williamson and illustrated by Andrea Milana with colors by Annalisa Leoni and lettering by Rus Wooten, the issue unveils a bold twist in Cobra Commander's backstory. Embracing a debated piece of lore from 1987’s G.I. Joe: The Movie, the story introduces Cobra Commander as a human adopted by Cobra-La, an underground society of serpent-people. This revelation marks a significant departure from the franchise's traditional military narrative, venturing into more fantastical realms.

Under the creative team's guidance, readers discover that Cobra Commander, formerly a scientist for Cobra-La, conducted experiments using the captive Megatron to develop advanced weaponry. His actions led to dissent within Cobra-La, prompting him to leave in search of Energon to power his inventions.

This reintroduction of Cobra-La reintroduces key characters like Pythona, an emissary armed with poison-tipped claws, and Golobulus, the ancient ruler of Cobra-La with a snake's tail for a lower body. Cobra Commander's journey unfolds against this backdrop, including his transformation through snake venom and a trial by Golobulus.

As the Energon Universe expands, incorporating controversial elements from G.I. Joe's history, Cobra Commander #1 sets the stage for future developments. With alliances and ambitions taking shape, including potential collaborations with Destro's M.A.R.S. Industries, Cobra Commander aims not only to conquer Earth but to extend his reach across other worlds.

With high stakes and evolving narratives, G.I. Joe enthusiasts are urged to follow Cobra Commander's journey as the series continues to unfold under Skybound Entertainment.

Cobra Commander #1, featuring Joshua Williamson's writing, Andrea Milana's artistry, Annalisa Leoni's colors, and Rus Wooten's lettering, is now available for purchase.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post